Why Using Baby Oil for Tanning Could Be Disastrous
What are Tanning Oils?Many people spent hours lying out in the sun with baby oil slathered all over their skin without knowing the dangers of using baby oil for tanning. Considered only for the wealthy before, it was not until the 20th century that skin tanning exploded to the mainstream working class. When teenagers and crowds watch movies shot in beach settings and music like those by the American Beach Boys which glamorized tanning, they yearn to be tan too, and thus look for the quickest solution. Baby oil for has been touted as the quickest way to get a deeply glowing bronzed body. There is a wide variety of tanning oils and products in the market, all using different brand names. Some of these products contain bronzers that give the skin a brown tone, but these last only up to a week. A good tanning oil or lotion is a product of intense hydrating agents such as glycerine, vitamin E, cocoa butter or coconut oil. It contains skin-care cosmetic oils purposed to help the skin achieve a tan, but they may or may not contain SPF (sun protection factor). Tanning products that do not contain any SPF protection are meant to be used for indoor purposes and they help tan the skin by bringing blood to the surface and stimulating the production of melanin to darken the skin complexion. On the other hand, those that contain SPF are for outdoor use and this is to protect against free radiation and harmful sun rays.
Why do people like tanning their skin?The reason that baby oil works so quickly to tan your skin is that it is only a moisturizer. You will argue that many sunscreens also do contain moisturizers, so why are they considered much safer than baby oil? It is because sunscreens also contain other active ingredients that block harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun. And because baby oil lacks these ingredients, which also include salicylates and benzophenones, it offers zero protection against harmful sun rays. So do not envy the bronze bodies of celebrities like those of Kate Hudson and many others as there you can also get the tan of your dream to flaunt. The secret lies in tanning oils, creams and lotions. You will discover that using baby oil for tanning will make your skin more even and smooth because the oil reflects and distributes the sun rays evenly across all applied areas. No corner of the skin will receive the rays more intently than the others. But how safe is this?
How tanning oil worksYou can protect your skin while still exposing it to the sun using tanning oils and lotions. This explains why you see many people liberally applying oils on their bodies at the beach. Tanning oil will protect the skin from damage cause by sun rays, but very few oils possess SPF properties. These oils attract more sun rays making it conducive for melanin production and this results to a tan. Whether you buy or prepare them at home, it is the nourishing effects that matter most. And this explains why baby oil has been used by many ladies as a supplement in the tanning process. But how fast can tanning happen?Generally, using baby oil for tanning does not give any protection against the sun. It only works in attracting more UV (ultraviolet) rays to the applied areas of the skin and speeds up their intensity on the skin. The increase in the amount of melanin from underneath the skin is what turns the skin darker, thus creating a tan. The effect of tanning oils is relatively much slower on people with fairer skin than those with dark skin because of the slow production of melanocytes. Beauty salons are the best places to get the best recommendation on which tanning oil to use, after which you can intensify it. If you apply baby oil for tanning on your body in even quantities while on the beach or any sunbathing area, you are likely to see results in just two weeks. And to deepen the effect further, you can extend the application for a few more days. Keeping your skin well hydrated by with a heavy-duty moisturizer will help in avoiding skin peeling because of exposure to the sun.
Is it advisable to use baby oil for tanning your skin?The biggest “pro” of using baby oil for tanning is the faster results it delivers. The desire for quicker results could be quite tempting to use baby oil but this may end up being disastrous. They will definitely nourish you because using baby oil for tanning has the same effect as using tanning oil or lotions – faster tanning. However, the tan from baby is only short-lived, say for just about two weeks, but it will leave you with a damaged skin. It is generally recommended to avoid using it, whether it is under the sun or even in a tanning bed. Even applying an SPF before soaking yourself in baby oil will not work because this only leaves the SPF cream useless because it is applied before the tanning process. If you cannot wait any longer, hydrate yourself using lots of water before applying the baby oil on the body. Thereafter, you should moisturize your skin using a proven quality moisturizer. The risk of sun burning is greatest between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m so you may think that certain times of the day are safer to apply baby oil for tanning, because they portent no risk. For instance, in overcast weather or when you are only outside just for a short while. These are all false misconceptions because there are no risk-free daylight hours. The clouds only block the sunlight but not the UVA or UVB rays. Even a short time exposure outdoors with no SPF protection is enough to damage the skin unless you first apply a quality sunscreen.
Good self tanning productsFrom this review, it is clear that lying under the sun to get a tan will only make your skin older because the sun is the leading cause of wrinkles and premature aging. This means that your quest to stay younger through tanning only ends up making you older than your actual age. Gels, lotions, towelettes, sprays and foams are some of the sunless tanning products that promise a natural and safe looking tan because there is no exposure to the sun.
1. St. Tropez Self-Tan Bronzing MousseIt is considered the best sunless tanner by beauty experts. It is odourless, easy to apply, dries quickly thus creating a smooth and natural tan in just hours of application. However, the Tint can look splotchy if not washed off and it can feel sticky when applied.
You need to apply sunscreen on your skin before tanning?Sunscreen will get you the color you desire for your skin and will also protect it against the harmful sun rays that cause premature aging or even skin cancer. If you want to enjoy the sun, but still play it safe, then use sunscreen every time you are exposed to the sun and also reapply it every 2 hours. Because most people, especially ladies, would not risk getting wrinkles in their efforts to glow their skin, baking under the sun is out of option. Here are a variety of tanning option that will deliver great:
- If you want to tan your face, the Decleor Self-Tanning Milk and Gels, Laura Mercier’s bronzing gel, St. Tropez Whipped Bronze Self-Tanning Mousse, Clarins Radiance-Plus Self Tanning Cream-Gel, Clarins Liquid Bronze Self-Tanner and Glow Fusion Natural Protein Tan Spray, make up some of the leading brands of face self tanners.
- If what you seek is a fair Skin, then Famous Dave’s Fair Skin & Face, Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer, L’Oréal Sublime Bronze Self Tanning Gel, Olay Body Touch of Sun Daily Body Lotion, Neutrogena Summer Glow Daily Moisturizer with SPF 20 Bare Escentuals Faux Tan, Clarins Tinted Self Tanning Face Cream and Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning Sunless Spray are some of the most used fair skin tanner brands.
- For a pale skin – Lancôme’s Flash Bronzer Glow ‘n Wear, St. Tropez Tanning Essentials Tinted Self Tanning Lotion, Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer, Aroma Sun Hydrating Self-Tanning Milk, Mystic Tan, Johnsons holiday skin, Decleor ModelCo Tan Airbrush In A Can, and Estee Lauder Go Tan Sunless Towelettes are the most popular self tanners for your pale skin.
- For men – L’Oreal Men’s Expert Healthy Look Anti-Pale Skin Daily Moisturizer, Clinique Non-Streak Bronzer, Shiseido Men Moisturizing Self-Tanner and Anthony Logistics Self-Tanner for Men with Anti-Aging Complexe among others, are recommended.
In summary, how can you get the Perfect Tan?These days, we have to use protection for everything, from bedroom activities to outdoor fun. It is clear that many are fooled to use baby oil for tanning without understanding the side effects of the same. While the results are quick and lasting colour, a number of severe skin damage risks are inevitable, a fact agreeable with leading dermatologists. This means that the benefits of an even, glowing and quickly deepening tan do not outweigh the cons. These include the risk of skin cancer, heightened sun burning and skin sensitivity.
What Is The Best Time Of Day To Tan?
Dealing with itchy skin after tanning
Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Usually Shower After Using A Tanning Bed
What Is A Tanning Bed Rash & How Do You Get Rid Of It
How To Remove Spray Tan
Tanning Through The Years: A History Of Bronze
How To Get A Tan And Protect Your Skin Against Premature Aging
Melanin – The Body’s Natural Tanning Aide
Sun Tan Warnings and Precautions
The Different ways to get a Tan
4 Ways To Tan And Do It Safely
Tips On Tanning And The Benefit Of Vitamin D
Essential Spray Tan Guide
10 Things you didn’t know about How Tanning Changes The Brain
3 Secrets To Help Make Your Tan Last Longer
The Best Ways to Take Care of Your Airbrush or Sunless Tan
What Are The Benefits of Tanning Bed That People Should Know About?
Looking Beautiful With Help From A Tanning Bed
Helpful Tanning Tips
12 Best Sunscreens For Your Face In 2018
May Be Interesting
- How To Get Rid Of Tanning Bed Rash (in 10 Easy Steps!)
- Tanning While Pregnancy Myths and Facts
- Tanning Once a Week – Is It Safe?
- Does Tanning Help Acne? 6 Unbelievable Facts
- Is Tanning Good For Eczema? - Most Complicated Answer
- What is the Best Time to Tan?
- Is Olive Oil Good for Tanning?
- 3 Biggest Sun Tanning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- Sun Tan Tips: 7 Easy Steps To Get The Perfect Sun Tan
- How to Tan Faster? Most Detailed Guide
- Best Tanning Bed Goggles Of 2018 Detailed Buying Guide
- Does Tanning Burn Enough Calories so I will Lose Weight?
- Does Baby Oil Help Tanning? Short and Clear Answer!
- 6 Most Easiest DIY Homemade Tanning Lotions & Oils Recipes
- Does Tanning Help Folliculitis?