Sunless Tanning – Types, Tips, Tricks And Everything You Need To Know
Why Choose Sunless Tanning?Sunless tanning became hugely popular in the 1980’s and has since gone on to be a multi-billion dollar industry. Everyone wants to have a smooth and silky bronze look and with the self-tanning products flooding the market, it is now possible have a beautiful tan all year round. People all over the world have become addicted to the craze of gaining a fresh look with a tan and products that promise bronze skin are snapped up as quickly as they are put on the shelves. Sunless tanning is a safe and easy alternative to lying in the sun all day or regularly visiting tanning beds and can help to keep you from getting a nasty sunburn or eliminate the possibility of skin cancer. Many people worry about the risks of lying in ultraviolet rays due to the amount of recent information discovered about how bad it can be for your skin. This is why many people choose to self-tan, it is a much better and safer way to gain a nice color. The dangers presented by tanning in ultraviolet rays are well documented and these rays can deeply penetrate your skin leaving you with unsightly marks or even worse, skin cancer. With so many varieties of sunless tanning available you will be sure to find the one that suits you best.
Types Of Sunless TanningThere is a wide variety of sunless tanning product available:
Top Tips When Sunless TanningSunless tanning requires concentration and practice but by following the tips below, you can achieve a perfect sunless tan:
- When you decide to tan it is best to shave any areas where you don’t want hair at least an hour beforehand. For women this may mean shaving your legs, bikini area and armpits and for men it may mean shaving your chest and face.
- Using an exfoliating cream before applying your tan can help lead to excellent results. If you regularly use exfoliator than you should already be able to achieve an even tan but if not then it is best to exfoliate directly after shaving and around an hour before applying the spray tan. There are plenty of exfoliating products available on the market and it is best to use it when using the bath or shower. By doing this you will remove all those dead skin cells and leave yourself feeling fresh and clean.
- There is no point applying spray tan to skin that is wet as it will lead to streaking. Ensure your skin is dry and there is no moisture in the air of the room you are using to apply the spray tan. It is also important to stay away from water up to two hours after application
- Use some Vaseline on your eyebrows before beginning the tanning process. This is an excellent trick that will help keep your eyebrows natural in color and help to protect them.
- Using moisturizer before tanning is a matter of preference but if you have dry or damaged skin it is highly advisable to apply some moisturizer beforehand, especially if the spray tan doesn’t contain any moisturizing qualities.
- When beginning the process, ensure you have gloves on to protect your hand and nails and stop them from turning a nasty color.
- Applying the tan to your head first is the best way to begin, make sure you have your eyes closed when using the spray tan on your face and try not to breathe when spraying.
- After this apply the spray tan to the lower part of your body, ensuring that you take care when spraying your feet and use the sponge to make sure the tan is even.
- You can then proceed to spray the rest of your body, trying to keep a steady hand and even spray. Be extra careful when spraying your hands as this is the area where most people go wrong.
- Use a long wand after applying the spray tan on your back to ensure it is evenly covered, it may feel a bit awkward but will become easier with practice.
- Once you have covered everywhere with the spray tan take a strong tissue and carefully wipe your wrists, elbows, the top of your feet and your knees, these are high risk areas and require extra attention. The purpose of this is just to ensure they don’t turn a strange color and doesn’t wipe the tan completely off.
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap, making sure you spend a good five minutes giving them a thorough clean. With spray tanning it may seem that your hands are fine but after a few hours they can turn a weird color if not washed properly.
- Use a hair dryer to dry all the areas of your body that you have just sprayed. There is no need to spend a long time doing this but it is just a trick that can help speed up the drying time of a spray tan.
Helpful Tricks When Sunless TanningBeyond the main tips listed above there are many ore little tricks you can use to ensure an even and beautiful tan, follow these steps for your perfect sunless tan:
- Using beauty products such as lip balms, lipstick, Vaseline or mascaras are fine to have on during and after your tan. Anything that goes on your facial area around the eyes or lips does not cause interference with the tan.
- Do not sweat, get wet, swim or exercise until you have had your first shower after your spray tan. If you do get wet it may cause you to streak.
- When you do take a shower, the bronzer is going to wash off. You don’t need to work at getting the bronzer off, just let the water from the shower remove it.
- It is advised that instead of wiping yourself dry after you get out of the shower, to pat yourself dry instead.
- The tan is not going to just disappear, you are going to notice it fading. You can start exfoliating when you notice it is starting to fade or in preparation for your next tan.
- Mascara and lip treatment such as Vaseline, lip gloss or lipstick do not cause any problems with the tan.
- Medical treatments for acne are also not advisable to use during the week your spray tan is on.
- It is best that you have any facial or body waxing done prior to using a spray on tan. DO NOT get waxed after you have finished your spray tan and before you shower.
- You are allowed to go in the sun after your tan is done, however it is best that you wait at least one day before doing so. Applying SPF while out in the sun is always highly recommended.
- Going in the sea or a pool after your tan is okay. It is advisable that you wait at least one day before doing this also. Chlorine may make your tan fade faster, however it is not going to remove the tan immediately.
- Face washes containing substances such as salicylic acid are not recommended to use, this is because they can eat away at your spray tan.
- Go easy around water the day you get sprayed – this includes everything from doing dishes to brushing your teeth. While you can still do these things, it is advised that you use caution when you are near water to ensure you do not mess up your spray tan.
- If you have small children, it is best practice if you bathe them prior to applying your spray tan.
- If you wear eye shadow, blush or face makeup, sleep with your makeup on that night.
- Your face is going to fade faster since you wash it more frequently.
- It is also best advised that you get a pedicure before you come in for your tan. DO NOT get one after your spray tan and before you shower. If you get one before you come in, make sure they wipe off any lotion. It is okay, however, to get a DRY pedicure after your spray tan.
- Threading and waxing of eyebrows and lips should be done prior to your tan.
- Try not to touch your skin to see if you are sticky. The solution does feel sticky while it is in the developing phase before your first shower and this is normal. If you touch your skin and do not wash the insides of your hands, your palms may end up becoming stained because palms are not supposed to come in contact with the spray tan solution. If you do accidentally touch your skin, this is fine, just wash the insides of your hands as directed by your spray tan specialist!
- It is recommended to moisturize at least once a day. You can start moisturizing after your first shower.
- If you are going on holiday after your tan, it certainly advisable that you wear sunscreen. It is also a good idea to combine moisturizer with your sun lotion and try applying both on at the same time as you would normally apply your sunscreen – especially after sitting out in the sun for a lengthy period, being in the sea or swimming in the pool.
- If you are waiting until the next day to shower and you would like to work out, shower before you work out and then shower again. Working out with the bronzer on may cause your tan to streak. Even if you just rinse the bronzer off and then take a full shower after your workout.
- If you are waiting until the next day to shower, when you wake up, you will be darker than you were the day before – this is only because the bronzer is still on you and the spray tan has fully developed.
- Limit the shaving of your legs, as this is also a form of exfoliating. You can still shave your legs, however we do not advise doing it daily.
- Remember to remain calm when applying the spray tan and relax your muscles.
Is Sunless Tanning For Me?Yes! Sunless tanning is so popular for a reason. By using products to create a beautiful skin color you are eliminating any chance of getting sunburn or skin cancer. Sunless tanning is safe, fun and can produce amazing results.
What Is The Best Time Of Day To Tan?
Dealing with itchy skin after tanning
Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Usually Shower After Using A Tanning Bed
How To Remove Spray Tan
Tanning Through The Years: A History Of Bronze
Learning How To Get A Beautiful And Safe Tan
How To Get A Tan And Protect Your Skin Against Premature Aging
Melanin – The Body’s Natural Tanning Aide
The Different ways to get a Tan
4 Ways To Tan And Do It Safely
Tips On Tanning And The Benefit Of Vitamin D
Essential Spray Tan Guide
Get A Great Spray Tan – Avoid These Common Mistakes
Understanding the Many Benefits of Spray Tan
10 Things you didn’t know about How Tanning Changes The Brain
3 Secrets To Help Make Your Tan Last Longer
The Best Ways to Take Care of Your Airbrush or Sunless Tan
How Does Fake Tans Work
Helpful Tanning Tips
12 Best Sunscreens For Your Face In 2018
May Be Interesting
- How To Get Rid Of Tanning Bed Rash (in 10 Easy Steps!)
- Tanning While Pregnancy Myths and Facts
- Tanning Once a Week – Is It Safe?
- Does Tanning Help Acne? 6 Unbelievable Facts
- Is Tanning Good For Eczema? - Most Complicated Answer
- What is the Best Time to Tan?
- Is Olive Oil Good for Tanning?
- 3 Biggest Sun Tanning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- Sun Tan Tips: 7 Easy Steps To Get The Perfect Sun Tan
- How to Tan Faster? Most Detailed Guide
- Best Tanning Bed Goggles Of 2018 Detailed Buying Guide
- Does Tanning Burn Enough Calories so I will Lose Weight?
- Does Baby Oil Help Tanning? Short and Clear Answer!
- 6 Most Easiest DIY Homemade Tanning Lotions & Oils Recipes
- Does Tanning Help Folliculitis?